Slow Opening of Documents on a Netware Server:
Symptoms: You are running
WinXP and you try to open a document on a Netware server and
your computer takes 30 seconds or more to open the document.
Opening and saving MS Office documents are slow.
The network provider order on your network card is bound to
Microsoft networks before the Netware network and/or file and
printer sharing for Microsoft networks is enabled.
Problem: The Netware server is
running McAfee Netshield 4.60 and Netshield is causing a
- Install the
latest patches from Novell
- Disable file
caching on the server by typing at the console:
- set client file caching enabled = off
- Disable file caching on the workstation:
- Right-click on the Novell Client icon (the red "N" in
the system tray)
- Go to the 'Novell Client Properties'
- Choose the Advanced Settings Tab
- Highlight 'File Caching'
- Select "Off" from the drop down menu
- Exit the 'Novell Client Properties' window
If you do not need the Microsoft Network Software bound to
your NIC try the following:
to your desktop
Right mouse click on, 'My Network Places'
the bottom of the list click on, 'Properties'
the top of the window click on, 'Advanced'
Then click on, 'Advanced Settings'
the bottom of the window remove the check mark next to,
'File and printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' and also
if present, the check mark next to, 'Client for Microsoft
Close all windows and reboot